Coming with children to the Northern Neck? Are the grandchildren in town?
- Hunt for fossils or sharks’ teeth to make a necklace at Westmoreland State Park.
Did you find a camel’s tooth?
- Stop at Dug In Farms to get some sweet corn and vegetables for dinner!
- Take the children’s audio tour, Who Lived at Stratford Jr, at Stratford Hall, walk the trails, or stroll the Potomac River beachfront for sharks’ teeth.
- Build a wooden boat (Mabel skiﬀ) at the Reedville Fishermen’s Museum, in June, from
Friday to Sunday. Also a children’s model-building workshop is held in August. See the historic vessels docked on Cockrell’s Creek.
- For older, tech-savvy kids, the Northern Neck is a giant geocache! Stratford Hall, Caledon State Park, Westmoreland State Park, Belle Isle State Park in Lancaster, Reedville, and loads of points in between! GPS equipment rentals available at state parks.
- Catch a big one in Wilna Pond during Junior Ranger Day in June at Rappahannock River Valley National Wildlife Refuge in Richmond County.
- Everything is fun about the Richmond County Fair, in August. Be a Farmer for the Day!
Experience hands-on agriculture, ages 9-19.
- Quietly go in to Historic Christ Church in Weems, in Lancaster County. There’s a great hands-on visitors center or participate in Hands-On History Day, or play Colonial games on a Second Saturday.
- Take a free ferry ride (in the car) across the Corrotoman (upper Lancaster County, near Merry Point) or Little Wicomico Rivers (Northumberland County, Sunnybank, near Reedville).
- Where’s the playground? Climb over a giant crab at the playground in Kilmarnock, on Waverly Avenue, at Belle Isle, Westmoreland or Caledon State Parks, or the Warsaw Town Park on Main Street.
- Reach the Beach! Colonial Beach, Vir-Mar Beach, Westland Beach–to name a few!
- Tractor-happy? The Northern Neck Farm Museum is a must-see! From steam-powered to gas & diesel, tractors galore. Look for special events, like Threshing Day and the corn maze during the fall.
- Identify trees at Menokin, the estate home of Francis Lightfoot Lee, a signer of the Declaration of Independence. The house is a partial ruin, so you can walk around it and see how they built homes many years ago. Then go kayaking!
- Play tennis in Warsaw at Rappahannock Community College’s courts. Open to the public, night-lights until 10pm!
- On the weekend, rent a kayak or canoe at Belle Isle State Park and paddle across to the Morattico Waterfront Museum, and come back to the park! Age 10+
- In September is Kinsale Day—and a Rubber Duck Derby! For more information, see kinsalefoundation.org
- Stay overnight in or near Reedville and take a cruise to Tangier Island the next morning.
- Get the family together on a charter boat and catch dinner! captbillyscharters.com
Or go tonging for oysters on an eco-tour!
- Check out the nature events and programs at Caledon State Park on the Potomac in King George County.
- Visit the calendar or your local library for other family-friendly events. At the library, check out a book on George Washington and plan your visit to his birthplace on beautiful Pope’s Creek in Westmoreland County. Bring a picnic lunch and enjoy the walking trails!